Why I Consume Pea Protein Powder
I began supplementing my diet with vegan protein powder in late July 2016.
The purpose was to ensure my diet best supports my running training.
- It ensures I eat additional and necessary protein to maintain my healthy vegan diet.
- It means I recover quickly and consistently as a runner who exercises regularly and intensely.
- It is a relatively cheap source of high quality protein (18-21p per 30g serving)*.
- It encourages me to make delicious smoothies rich in protein, such as the Cherry Cacao Shake.
- It makes me feel that I am taking my running seriously, providing me with extra confidence.
- The lack of flavour means that mixing the powder with just water and/or soya milk does not elicit the best taste.
- It took me months to gain the habit of making and drinking a pea protein smoothie after my workouts and on rest days.
I chose to consume the pea variety as it has 80% protein in every serving, and is significantly cheaper than alternative forms such as hemp and brown rice.
I would recommend any serious runner to consider taking this or similar supplements to enhance, not replace, existing protein intake.
* The price is based on buying the powder in 5kg bulk bags as I do from a local supplier, Bulk Powders.